Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

Garcigórz

Garcigórz, called Garczigórz by [Kaszubian folklorist Florian Stanislaw] Ceynowa, Garczegorz by Hilferdyng, in German Garzigar, and Parczewski heard the name as Garczagóra in the nearby village of Sarbsk [the modern name is Garczegorze]: a village in Pomerania, in Lebork county, on the Leba-Lebork highway, about 8 km. from Lebork, parish of Lebork, 5 Catholics. In 1348 Heinrich von Rechter, Gdansk commander of the Teutonic Knights, issued this village a new charter on terms of Chelmno law.

 

There were to be 60 wlókas, of which the soltys, Arnold von Vicken, received 6 free, as well as 3 pennies on legal judgments, both large and small; the commander kept for himself only [fines from] offenses on public roads. According to a 1437 listing of Lebork district there were 50 wlókas here, on each of which a rent was to be paid of 14 skoty and 5 denarii; there were also 6 free wlókas, on three of which rent began to be paid in 1439, 1440 and 1442. The total income from settled lands was 26 marks, 11 skoty, 10 denarii. In a 1658 inventory of Lebork district we read a list of the names of gburs: Piotr Katcken, Andrzej Gravetzki, Janusz Schmidt, Maciej Borin, Michal Bette, Pawel Borin, Piotr Krus, Jakób Katke, Maciej Kenses, and gardener Pawel Vick. There were 60 wlókas, of which the pastor had four, and the sexton (Küster) one; the Lutheran preacher also received 4 wlókas along with a vacant gbur farm. 4 wlókas had been deserted nine years before, and now, after the war with Sweden, 4 were still deserted. The soltys had 6 free wlókas. A little forestland still belonged to the village, but it was badly devastated and little remained. Compare Reinhold Cramer's Geschichte der Lande Lauenburg und Bütcow.

 

In Garcigórz there was a parish church since ancient times, of government patronage, called St. Mary Magdalene's. The following small villages belonged to the parish: Garcigórz, Wilkowo, Oblewice, and part of Rekowo. The pastor owned 4 wlókas, and a fifth was bequeathed to the local Catholic teacher (according to Szaniawski's inspection report). After the Reformation, since almost all the German residents converted to Protestantism, the Garcigórz church was incorporated as a branch of the Lebork one. It was long neglected, and around 1770 it collapsed. Then the Protestants thought they would take its site and build a new church for themselves; they even submitted a petition for this to the king of Prussia. But the ardent Ignacy Lniski, Wloclawek canon and pastor of Lebork, quickly built a new church at his own expense, in 1777, and frustrated their designs. The church was built in Prussian fashion, the roof covered with rough-hewn logs; there were three bells in the tower; the interior had a brick tile floor, with 30 pews and 4 windows; in the altar was an image of the church's patron saint, Mary Magdalene. The pastor came here sometimes from Lebork for services; the Lutherans joined in them willingly enough; and in 1802 they told the bishop on his inspection tour that they heard the sermons as often as possible, whenever the pastor came to them. In more recent times the Garcigorz church was still visited at times, but it was not cared for adequately and it slowly deteriorated. Finally in 1840 a strong windstorm finished it off. Since then it has not been rebuilt, and the Garcigórz congregation has been dissolved and attached to the church in Lebork See Rev. Fankidejski, Utracone koscioly i kaplice, page 225. According to Parczewski in 1856 there were still old folks who spoke Kaszubian; but these days the village has been wholly Germanized. [Rev. F(ankidejski)].

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1881, vol. 2, pp. 486-487]

 

Copyright © 2002 William F. Hoffman. Used by permission. This article originally appeared in Rodziny (Vol. XXV, No. 2, Spring 2002), the journal of the Polish Genealogical Society of America.

  
Copyright 2008-2017 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use