Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

J

 

 

 

Jabłonowo

Jabłonowo, a village in Mlawa powiat, Zielun gmina, Sarnowo parish, 28 kin. from Mlawa. There is an elementary school in the village. In 1827 it had 31 houses and 179 inhabitants; at present it has 53 houses and 423 inhabitants, 1,641 mórgs of land, of which 1,221 are plowland. 

 

[Note: there are several other Jabłonowo's in Mlawa powiat, all in Wieczfnia Koscielna parish, east of Mława. But the others have compound names; this is the only one called simply Jabłonowo ...]

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3, p. 351]

 

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Spring 1998 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".


Jadowniki

Jadowniki, 1) in German Jadownik, a village in the powiat of Szubin of 7 Houses, 43 inhabitants, all Catholics, 15 Illiterate.

 

2) A Manor Farm, 2320 morgs open land, 2 locations: a) Jadwoniki, b) Folwark Wartenberg; 14 Houses, 239 Inhabitants, 43 Evangelical, 196 Catholic, 107 Illiterate. A Post Office and Telegraph are located in  Znin  7.5 km away, an electric Railroad Station at Złotniki (Güldenhof ) 24 km away. The manor formerly belonged to Count Gust[av] [M. St{udniarski}]

 

[Translators Note: A Catholic Church is located at Znin Gora 8 km away.]

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3, p. 363]

 

This translation, by Jim Piechorowski, is used by permission.


Jancewicze

Jancewicze (or Yantsevichi)-- 1) a government village in the 3rd police district of Oszmiana province, and part of Traby (Catholic) parish. It lies 46 mi. from Oszmiana and 32 miles to Dziewieniszki, and contains 3 homes and a Catholic chapel, with 4 Orthodox and 24 Catholic inhabitants.

 

Editor's Note: All Słownik longitudes in this article have been converted to modern coordinates which is based on the Greenwich zero meridian. All Polish measurement units (land areas, distances, height above sea level, etc.) were converted to American-English equivalents.  Monetary units, where identified, were left in zlotys/zl. or rubles/rs.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3, p.397]

 

This translation, by Mike Gansecki, is used by permission.


Januszkowice

Januszkowice, a village in Jasło county, in the valley of the stream Gogolewski, which flows into the Wisłoka from the right bank; the village is on the road from Frysztak to Brzostek, and belongs to the Roman Catholic parish in Brzostek, which is 11.5 km. away. It has 696 Roman Catholic inhabitants. The major estate (owned by Konst. Fihauser) has 253 mórgs of farmland, 40 of meadows and gardens, 23 of pastureland, and 394 of forests; the minor estate [i. e., peasant-owned lands] has 593 mórgs of farmland, 51 of meadows and gardens, 74 of pastureland, and 162 of forests. In Januszkowice there is a Roman Catholic chapel where Mass is celebrated. The district loan society has a capital of 289 złotys. [No author given, Vol. 3, page 443.]

 

[Updated entry in Vol. 15-1, page 248]:

 

Januszkowice, a village in Jasło county. Half the village was formerly the property of the Tyniec monastery. The second half was granted in 1353 by King Kazimierz, and in 1360 was owned by Piotr Iwanowicz, the voivode of Żydacz, who received a German-law charter for it (Kodeks Małopolski, I and III). In Długosz’s day the village belonged to the parish in Klecie. The monastery owned half of the village (7 łans, an inn, and 2 łans belonging to the sołtys), the other half was owned by Jan Amor Tarnowski of Leliwa arms (Liber beneficiorum, Vol. III, page 203). In 1536 half of it was owned by the Tyniec monastery, and had 16 peasants, 3 unused properties, a property belonging to the wójt [district administrator], an inn, and a mill. The other half of the village was owned by Piotr Kmita of Wiśnicz, and had 21 peasants, an inn, a manor, a manorial farmstead, woods, meadows, and a mill.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3, p. 443 & vol. 15-1, p. 248]

 

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Spring 2004 issue of "Rodziny, The Journal of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

  
Copyright 2008-2016 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use