Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Slownik Geograficzny Translation

Brzyska

Brzyska (with Jedlinka and Kameń), a village in Jasło county, has 1,785 mórgs of land, including 1,143 of farmland and 433 of forests; 172 houses, 1,186 inhabitants. The Roman Catholic parish church in the village, belonging to Brzostek deanery, has 3,694 souls, and existed before 1555. It is not known who built or consecrated the wooden church, St. Mary Magdalene’s. In the stone chapel on the cemetery Masses are celebrated; there is a one-class elementary school, a district loan society, and sizable quarries. Brzyska lies on the Wisłoka amid fertile hills. On the manorial grounds there are a beautiful palace and English garden with old trees, established by the current owner, Stanisław Kotarski. [M. M{arassé}. — Vol. 1, page 429].

 

[Updated entry in Vol. 15-1, page 251]:

Brzyska, in Długosz called Brzysska and Brzyszka, a village in Jasło county. In the mid-15th century this village, the property of the Tyniec abbey, had a wooden parish church, St. Mary Magdalene’s. In the village was a monastery manorial farmstead, a property (2 łans) belonging to the sołtys [village headman], two inns (belonging to the monastery and the sołtys), 9 farmsteads, and peasant łans. A tithe was given to the pastor (Liber beneficiorum, Vol. II, page 278). All the parish villages—Ujazd, Wróblowa, Lipnica, Kłodawa, and Dąbrówka—belonged to the Tyniec monastery.

 

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1880, vol. 1, p. 429 & vol. 15-1, p. 251]

 

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Spring 2004 issue of "Rodziny, The Journal of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

  
Copyright 2008-2016 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use