Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

Gombin/Gąbin

Gombin (properly Gąbin), town on the river Nida, in Gostynin powiat, connected by highways with Warsaw (117 km. away), Gostynin (34 km. [sic]), and the Pniewo railway station on the Warsaw-Bygdoszcz line (26 km.). It has a Catholic parish church, a Protestant congregational church, three elementary schools (two Catholic, one for males and one for females, and one Protestant), a municipal office, and a postal station. It belongs to the District III Justice of the Peace jurisdiction in Gostynin and the Wloclawek conference of judges. In 1827 it had 197 houses and 2,395 inhabitants; in 1861 it had 253 houses and 2,624 inhabitants, including 1,909 Jews. As of 1877 it had 5,834 inhabitants, 2,848 men and 2,986 women. As for religion, half of the population is Jewish. There are 254 habitations, of which 27 are brick, the rest of wood; the Catholic church is brick with a sheet-iron roof; the Protestant church is brick with a tile roof-both are in good condition.

The following factories are in Gombin: a steam mill, 4 horsepower, with an annual production worth 6,000 silver rubles, employing three workers; a tannery, existing since 1806, where 8 people work, minimum sales 90,000 silver rubles; a smaller tannery, employing two people, with annual sales of up to 10,000 silver rubles; two oil mills, each employing two people and one horse, annual sales 3,000 silver rubles; two soap-works, each employing two people, annual sales 3,000 silver rubles; two shops producing handmade clothing, each employing three people, sales 1,000 silver rubles; a small-scale vinegar factory employing two people, sales 900 silver rubles; two dye-works, employing two people, sales 4,500 silver rubles; a shop producing cloth by hand, employing two people, sales 450 silver rubles; a boiler-works employing three people, sales 15,000 silver rubles. In addition to the factories listed above Gombin has seven cylinder windmills, each employing two people, accounting for 25,000 silver rubles; two cylinder water mills employing five people and bringing 3,000 silver rubles; one brewery, employing three workers, with annual sales of 1,200 silver rubles. The city treasury's income in 1877 was 5,931 silver rubles, expenses were 5,871, reserve capital 10,790, and the reserve fund had 3,553 silver rubles.

Gombin is a very old settlement, as seen by its local church, probably built by one of the Mazovian princes in the 14th century. Its antique glazed bricks, ornamented with various figures and emblems, attest to this in view of the lack of other data. In 1437 Ziemowit, prince of Rawice and Sochaczew, granted Gombin a settlement charter based on German law, and the charter was confirmed by Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk in 1462 and Zygmunt I. Fires in 1540 and 1545 destroyed Gombin and although it was rebuilt, the Swedish wars once again cast the undefended town of wooden structures into ruin. New royal grants and charters could not halt the decline of Gombin, which lacked the necessary conditions for successful development. Not until the current century did it begin to rise, after the establishment there in 1824 of a factory settlement with 30 clothiers imported from Germany, and later as a result of the development of the sugar industry and of agriculture throughout the whole vicinity. 

 

Gombin parish, belonging to Gostynin deanery, numbers 6,152 souls; the Protestant congregation numbers 3,000 souls. The Gabin deanery of Warsaw archdiocese has 17 parishes: Brzozów, Czermno, Gąbin, Gizyce, Slubice (formerly Jamno), Ilów, Kiernozia, Luszyn, Oporów, Osmolin, Pacyna, Rybno, Sanniki, Suserz, Trebki, Troszyn, Zyck.- K. Sek

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1881, vol. 2, p. 681]

 

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Summer 1997 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

  
Copyright 2008-2016 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use