Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

Wrocanka

1) a village in Jaslo county, on a small tributary of the Jasiolka from the left bank, 3.5 km. south of Tarnowiec (parish and railroad station between Jaslo and Krosno). With the landed estate (of Konst. Piliński) it has 104 houses and 574 Roman Catholic inhabitants. The landed estate has an area of 494 mórgs, half farmland and half forest, and the minor estate has 708mórgs of land. In 1581 (Pawiński, Malopolska, p. 120) it was the property of Salowski and had 4 peasant lans, a zagroda with land, 3 zagrodas without land, 2 tenants with cattle, the same number with no cattle, and 2 craftsmen. Glinik Polski borders on it to the south, Umieszcz to the west, Polakówka to the east, and Tarnowiec to the north.

 

2) W., a village in Krosno county, on the right bank of the Jasiel, elevation 312 meters above sea level, 4.3 km. west of Miejsce and 8.3 km. southeast of Krosno. Near Wrocanka the roads to Rymanów and Dukla cross. With the landed estate it has 153 houses and 833 Roman Catholic inhabitants (409 men, 424 women). The landed estate is mostly parceled out among 60 peasants; 59 mórgs remained with the major estate, and the peasants possessed 193 mórgs; the minor estate comes to 586mórgs.

 

Wrocanka was once a village owned by the king, settled on the basis of German law, and it was originally settled by Germans. In the 1665 Sanok district inspection report (Rekp. Os., Nr. 2834, p. 58) we read: "The owner of this village is His Excellency Stanislaw Zawisza, jointly with Her Excellency Konstancya of Kozieglowa, his spouse, with a decree of consent received of King Jan Kazimierz and dated Warsaw on 14 January 1651, with a cession by Her Excellency Katarzyna Dunkowska, surviving spouse of the late noble Zygmut Dunkowski, Sanok district scribe, in her own person. In this village there are 7 peasants settled, of whom 3 pay a rent of 24 grosz each, which comes to 2 zl. [zlotys], 12 grosz, and 3 pay 16 grosz each, which comes to 1 zl., 18 grosz. Each gives a bushel of oats by Krosno measure, which totals 7 bushels at 2 zl. each for a total of 14 zl. Each gives 4 capons, in all 28, at 6 grosz apiece, which comes to 5 zl., 18 grosz. They are to do half-lan work service three days a week, from morning to evening, with livestock. In summer they are to send two each to harvest and gather hay and see to the breeding. They are each to spin two pieces of the lord's material. When they provide a cart in place of labor service, they are to deduct as many days as they will be on the road. There are two zagrodniks. They are to do work one day a week. The manorial farmstead's yield: 40 kopas [ 1 kopa = 60 sheaves] of rye, 10 kopas of wheat, 16 of barley, 40 of oats, 20 of buckwheat. The total of all produce and income, of the wojt's revenue as well, comes to 111 zl., 18 grosz. Deducting 16 zl., 18 grosz from that sum that is paid to the official, the sum on which the kwarta is to be paid to the Crown treasury, under the debts described in the common law on inspections and on the kwarta, comes to 95 zl."

 

The parish was already in existence by 1490; there is no document of its founding because in 1566 hooligans robbed the church and tortured Rev. Sokolowski, the pastor, to reveal where the money was concealed. The wooden church existing today was built in 1770. The village of Szczepancowa belongs to the parish (in the diocese of Przemysl, deanery of Krosno). It borders on the south with Równe, on the east with Rogi and Miejsce, on the north with Glowienka, and on the west with Nizna Laka. [Mac. Lu.-Dz.]

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14, p.22]

 

This translation, by William F. Hoffman and Mike Gansecki, first appeared in the May 2000 issue of "Rodziny Journal of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

  
Copyright 2008-2016 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use