Wyżniany [now Vyzhnyany, Ukraine]
Wyżniany, sometimes called Wyżlany, village, district [powiat] Przemyślany, province of Lwów. The village is located 21 km north-west from Przemyślany, 9 km south-west from the district court in Gliniany, close-by to the post-office in Kurowice and 10 km south from railway station in Zadwórz. To the south of the village there are: Peczenia and Kurowice; to the east: Kurowice, Poluchów and Rozworzany, to the north: Rozworzany, Laszki Królewskie and Żurawniki. All villages are in the province of Lwow.
Tymkowiecki stream flows thorough the village. Majority of the area belongs to the estate of count Roman Potocki and consists of: fields 404 morgs, meadows and orchards 49, pastures 99, forests 58 morgs. The villagers own: fields 785, meadows and orchards 199, pastures 150 morgs.
In 1890 there were 138 houses and 742 inhabitants there. 6 houses with 47 inhabitants were on the manor estate. Population consisted of: 334 Roman Catholics, 431 Greek Catholics, and 24 Jews. There were 412 Ruthenians [Ukrainians] and 377 Poles.
Parish church [Roman Catholic. EZ], belonging to the Gliniany decanat and archdiocese of Lwow, is located in the village. Villages served by the parish: Alfredówka, Czarnuszowice, Kurowice, Laszki Królewskie, Łahodów, Peczenia, Podhajczyki, Podhorylce, Poluchów, Rozworzany, Sołowa, Turkocin i Żurawniki.
The parish was founded by Jan Kłus and his wife Małgorzata in 1400. The parish church, partially made of stone, partially of brick, was built on the plan of a cross. According to the inscription found over the entrance, the church was consecrated in 1751 by a suffragan bishop from Lwow, priest Głowacki. Once there was a crypt under the floor, a grave of possibly the founders of the church. In 1846 or 1848, the government commission came looking for the hidden guns, which were not found. During the inspection, the bones in the crypt were exhumed and buried at the cemetery. The crypt was filled up and closed. Besides a few old chasubles, there is an interesting gold gilded silver monstrance. The monstrance is engraved with inscription: “Her Ladyship Zofia Sokołowska Olszewska, wife of the Cupbearer of Ruś [Eastern-Southern province of Kingdom of Poland. EZ] and a judge of Żydaczów, offers this monstrance to the church of Wyżniany in 1738”.
The church founded by Kłus and his wife in 1400 was set on fire in 1648 by Kozaks and Tatars. In 165,1 the church was rebuilt by the owners of Wyżniany: Maryan Grabianka from Pankraczowic and Hieronim and Andrzej Kuropatnickis from Kuropatniki.
Greek Catholic parish is in Peczenia. Located there are: the church [cerkiew], one-class school, and a credit union with 3096złoty of lending capital.
Wyżniany and surrounding villages: Rozworzany, Poluchów, Peczenihy (called Peczenegy in 1400), Sołowa, Kurowice, Chanaczów (Kanaczów in 1400) [Hanaczów – after 1900. EZ] belonged to one estate called Kłusowszczyzna from the name Kłus, The eldest daughter of Klemens Kłus, Katarzyna, married Wojciech Kuropatnicki from Kuropatniki. She inherited Kłusowszczyzna estate. Kuropatnickis had two sons: Wiktor, who died childless, and Andrzej. Andrzej Kuropatnicki, married to Zofia Stamirowska, also had two sons: Hieronim, castellan of Kiev, and Andrzej castellan of Bieć. Zofia Stamirowska married again after the death of her first husband. Her second husband was Marcyan Grabianka. With him she had a daughter Zofia, and a son Marcyan. Zofia Grabianka upon her marriage to Giedziński, the cupbearer of Lithuania, received Wojniłłów i Bolechów as her dowry. Hieronim and Andrzej Kuropatnickis gave one fourth of Klusowszczyzna estate to their step-brother Marcyan Grabianka, who inherited 2/4 of those lands from his father anyway. Marcyan married Maryanna Potocka. In his testament from 1674, later approved by a decree from 1676, Marcyan left Kłusowszczyzna to his step-brothers, Hieronim and Andrzej Kuropatnickis. They in turn, in 1690, gave the whole estate to the Marcyan Grabianka’s sister, Zofia Grabianka Giedzińska. This is how Wyżniany ended up in the hands of Giedzińskis. Son of Zofia, Aleksander Dominik Giedziński sold the village to Józef Olszowski from Olszów, the Cupbearer of Ruś. The purchase contract was signed on Sep 26, 1716 in Halicz. After death of Józef Olszowski, the village was inherited by his son Gabryel, who sold it in 1762 to August Aleksander Czartoryski, voivoda of Ruś. After his death, Izabella Czartoryska Lubomirska inherited the village. In her testament she gave the village to her grandson, Alfred Potocki (father of Roman).
According to the letter of complaint written by Kliczner, the lease holder on Wyżniany from Giedziński, in year 1706 the Kozak troups commanded by general Mazepa destroyed the rye fields in the villages Wyżniany and Rozworzany. In the old times, there were extensive fish ponds in the village. There was an abundance of fish sale of which generated a lot of income. For instance, only on September 26, 27 and 28, 1696 the sale of pike brought in 1258 złoty, whitefish – 338 złotych, and tench 24złotych.
There is a very interesting document in the archives of count Potocki in Łańcut. In it Józef Olszewski asks for a permission to change the status of Wyżniany from village to a town. The request has been approved on July 13, 1720 by the king August II. The king allows Wyżniany to follow the Magdeburg City Law Order. He also grants the town many privileges, among them a permission to hold four yearly markets. Despite the king’s grants and privileges Wyżniany has remained a village.
In the vicinity of the village there are the ruins of an ancient settlement (A.Kazimierz Henzel, “Historyczne Wspomnienie o Wyżnianach” [“Historical Memories of Wyżniany”], “Czas”, 1862 nr. 289)
Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14, pp. 164-165]
This translation, by Eva M. Zuber, is used by permission.