Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

Wyrzysk

1) (also known as Wyrzysko, Werzysko, Wyritz, German Wirsitz): a town on the Lobzonka, south of Lobzenica, northwest of Naklo, the center of Wyrzysk county lies between Miasteczko, Szamocin, Kcynia, Naklo, Mrocza, Lobzenica, and Wysoka.  There is a civil registry office in the town, a railway station in Osiek (German name Netzthal) on the Bydgoszcz-Krzyz line, a school and parish in the town, courts in the town and Pila.  It covers an area of 508 hectares, has 129 homesteads, 1,428 souls (590 Catholic and 142 Jews).  In 1326 Warcislaw, Prince of Pomerania, and Fryderyk Wildenberg, Master of the Teutonic Knights, made an alliance with Bishop Konrad of Kamien against Poland. In this treaty the Teutonic Kinghts undertook the obligation of chasing the Polish invaders back as far as Wyrzysk. Today the town does not possess old documents.

 

In 1578 it had 25 personal farms, 11 zagrodas and 5 trades. When it came under Prussian rule in 1773, it was the property of Count Wrbno Rydzynski, who sold it to Frederick the Great. The King ordered a Protestant church built there. In 1788 Wyrzysk had 31 houses and 180 souls. At the beginning of the 19th century it numbered 550 souls. In 1816 there were 43 homesteads and 435 souls, of whom 173 were Catholic and 48 Jews. In 1837 there were 70 houses, 808 souls; 892 souls in 1843; 999 souls in 1858; and 1,049 in 1861. The Catholic church is dedicated to St. Martin. Its beginnings are unknown. The 1766 inspection says that in place of the wooden church Mikolaj z Wrbna Rydzynski built a new one, at his own expense, in brick nogged timber wall [w pruski mur]. It was consecrated on 31 May 1744 by Józef Tadeusz z Kiekrza Kierski, Poznan suffragan. After 120 years this church gave way to a new one, made of brick in Gothic style, paid for by the parishioners with government help. Józef Kuczynski, Naklo dean, consecrated it on 4 November 1860. In 1821 the Wyrzysk church received the bell from the former Dominican church in Gniezno, which was being torn down. In 1813 a prehistoric burial-ground was excavated in Wyrzysk.

 

2) Wyrzysk, a royal demesne, 1,238 hectares in area, 25 homesteads, 367 souls, of whom 158 were Catholic. In 1793 Grabowo, Osiek, Pruszcz, and Wysoczka also belonged to the Wyrzysk demesne.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14, p.107]

 

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Fall 1995 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".


Wyrzysk powiat

In the Grand Duchy of Poznan, in the Bydgoszcz regency, has an area 21¼ square miles. Created from part of the area of the former province of Gniezno, it borders on the Kwidzyn regency (West Prussia) and the counties of Bydgoszcz, Szubin, Wagrowiec, Chodziez. It occupies part of the Notec valley and river-basin, which includes within the county the smaller tributaries Gnila with the Rokitka by the Wygoda inn, the Lobzonka with the Lubsia and Rudna near Wyrzysk. In addition we find here some 40 small lakes, of which the more prominent are Roscimin, Drzewianowo, Slawianowo. The soil is fertile. The population lives off of agriculture and raising cattle. Of the county's total surface area, 115,981 hectares, 76,244 ha. are in cultivation, 15,988 in meadows, 11,910 in forests. Net income from 1 hectare of farmland is reckoned at 10.18 marks, from 1 ha. of meadow land 13.32, and from 1 ha. of forest 3.92 marks. Of this 5,331 ha. belong to the town (3,636 cultivated, 1,088 meadows, 37 forest); to the rural gminas belong 45,491 ha. (33,591 farmland, 6,391 meadow land, 519 forest), and to the major estate 64,959 ha. (39,017 farmland, 8,509 meadowland, 11,354 forest).

 

In 1885 the county's population was 57,367 (27,859 men, 29,508 women). 40,026 of them were born in the county. As regards religion, 27,655 were Catholics, 27,823 Protestants, 54 of other faiths, 1,834 Jews. In the towns there were 13,941 inhabitants, 8,752 of them born in the county, 5,572 Catholic, 6,771 Protestant, and 1,571 Jews. The rural gminas had 27,387 inhabitants, of whom 11,621 were Catholics, 15,483 Protestants, 27 of other faiths, 256 Jews; on the major estate were 16,039 inhabitants (10,462 Catholic, 5,569 Protestant, 7 Jews). In 1831 there were 33,298 inhabitants, of them 15,541 Catholic, 15,999 Protestant, 1,758 Jews.

 

In the county's territory are the towns of Wyrzysko, Lobzenica, Mrocza, Naklo, Wysoka, Miasteczko. Poles represent about 40% of the total population.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14, pp. 107-108]

 

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Fall 1995 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

  
Copyright 2008-2016 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use