Geography Maps Slownik Geograficzny Slownik I
Slownik Geograficzny Translations
Iwje, a town in Oszmiana county, lying at 53° 56' North latitude, 25° 46' East longitude [Editor's note: the Polish says 43° 26' East, but that's because it was measured from Ferro], 39.1 miles in a southerly direction from Oszmiana and 89.3 miles from Wilno, at an altitude of 514 feet above sea level, possessing a peasant gmina administration, a rural school, a brick Catholic parish church called Sts. Peter and Paul, a post office for correspondence of all kinds and communicating with Lida through the Dzikowicze post office, about 19.6 miles away; the town numbers 2,123 inhabitants, that is, 1,054 men and 1,070 women (1869). The Iwje peasant gmina is divided among 5 rural districts, and has 42 villages, 978 houses, and 6,243 peasants. Iwje has a class II Catholic parish in Wiszniew deanery, an affiliate church in Dudy (compare its entry), a chapel in Satoltowicze, and 7,646 faithful.
At one time Iwje was the property of the Kiszka family. Nicholas of Ciechanowiec of that family, voivode of Mscislaw and starosta of Wilkoszew, founded a church here in 1631, as well as a monastery, and he brought the Bernardine monks to it, offering them 200 zlotys annually from his estate, as well as a "decent allowance." This donation was made on June 10, 1633. The monks had there a library holding 489 books of theological content, and maintained near the monastery a clerical school of rhetoric, until the confiscation of church property in the first quarter of this century.
From the Kiszkas ownership of Iwje passed to the Sluzkas, namely to Catherine Janusz née Kiszka, wife of the Lithuanian commander. In 1662 she bequeathed it to Charles and Catherine née Radziwill Hlebowicz, who were survived by two daughters: Marcybela Oginska, wife of Marcyan, the Troki voivode and Lithuanian chancellor; and Christina Sapieha, wife of the Polotsk voivode. When Oginska died without heirs, Iwje went to the Sapieha family, who in 1686 mortgaged it to the Tyzenhauz family. Today Iwje belongs to the countess Elfrieda Zamoyska, who acquired it as an inheritance from the Tyzenhauz family.
Additional Slownik information on Iwie from Volume XV:
Iwie- town and estate in Oszmiana province. The estate comprises 29,400 acres of which nearly 17,580 are wooded. In composition, it includes the towns Iwie and Nikolaev on the Nieman River, as well as the following farmsteads: Galimszczyna, Chowanszczyna, Rembakowszczyna, Krasowszczyna, Staniewicze, Bagnorod, Ludmilin, Elfrydow, Augustowek, Borki, and Czapun. In 1832, the extent of the so-called "Iwian Countship" included holdings of 69,880 acres of small farms, hamlets, and estates. Stanislaus Kiszka, Voivod of Vitebsk, had built a brick Catholic church in Iwie, while his son Nicholas, Voivod of Mscislaw and Sheriff of Wilkomirsk, brought in the Bernadine monks, whom he settled near by the church and erected a wooden parish church nearby. For its endowment, he donated the Lipsk farmstead, Streczenieta peasant village (comprising 415 tillable acres), 125 acres of bottom-land and 830 acres of hayfields. There is a Tatar settlement near the town in which are found a Tatar mosque [ed.- still in Iwie today] and cemetery. The first known owner of Iwie was Pietrosko (Peter) Mondygierd, district Marshal and Governor of Nowogródek, obtained from a grant by King Casimir Jagiello in 1444. In 1542, the owner of Iwie was Jan Janowicz Zabrzezinski, Marshal to the King. Tomila (nee Dukes Zaslawski & Mscislaw) Janowa Zabrzezinski bequeathed Iwie in 1558 to Nicholas Piotrowicze Kiszka, the Cup-Bearer of Lithuania. From an inheritance, Count Rudolf Tyzenhaus gave Iwie to Hetman Michael Oginski in 1825; lastly Count August Zamojski obtained Iwie as an expensive dowry for his daughter Elfreda. Today it is owned by his son, Count Tomas.
Editor's Note: All Slownik longitudes in this article have been converted to modern coordinates which is based on the Greenwich zero meridian. All Polish measurement units (land areas, distances, height above sea level, etc.) were converted to American-English equivalents. Monetary units, where identified, were left in zlotys/zl. or rubles/rs.
Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3, p. 324; 1902, vol. 15-1, p. 619]
This translation, by William F. Hoffman and Mike Gansecki, first appeared in the May 2000 issue of "Rodziny Journal of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".
German Eichenrode, 1) A village, Wyrzysk county, 6 houses, 68 inhabitants, 6 Protestant, 62 Catholic, 1 illiterate. 2) An estate consisting of 2500 acres in two localities: a) a farm; b) a brick factory, 8 houses, 130 inhabitants, 31 Protestants, 99 Catholic, and 39 illiterates. Post office and telegraph office are in Lobzenica (German name -Lobsenz) 5 km. away, railroad station is in Osiek (German name - Netzthal) 19 km. away.
Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3, p.332]
This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Fall 1995 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".;